Ready to paint again, but with little new to pick in the garden (lots of Hellebores and Tulips and such, but all painted so many times) I decided to use the teasels to have another go. I got as far as the drawing and the addition of the masking fluid for the spines and the background wash with plenty of table salt added. This needed plenty of time to dry, so as the weather was glorious, I decided on a little gentle exercise in the garden. I really wish I had stayed in doors!!
I went to put on a pair of gloves in the greenhouse, and my little finger on my right hand discovered a queen wasp in the glove just starting her nest.
The pain was indescribable. I could not get the glove off quickly enough and she had nowhere to go, so I think I got every drop of venom she could muster. Fortunately I am not allergic to this type of sting, but it was agony for the whole of the day and even now it is like having a nasty burn on my finger 36 hours later.
The sting is on the outer edge of the finger, right where one rests ones hand when painting, writing etc so it has been really uncomfortable to finish the painting.
However, when the background was dry and I had removed the salt and masking fluid, I decided to keep going, as I am getting a bit bored with my enforced incarceration and rest at home.
I used a permanent Sepia pen to firm up the leaves, stems and bracts ( if that is what they are ),
I gave the whole painting a very light splatter with white Acrylic Gouache and added a little more paint to the right of the stems which I dispersed with a plastic straw.
I think the colours of the teasels are a bit too brick red, but short of putting the whole painting under the tap I don't think there is much I can do about it.