Tuesday 30 October 2012

Hydrangeas

The garden is looking very forlorn at the moment, and the high winds have blown all the tall Cosmos over, although they are still full of flowers. The Hydrangeas are beginning to fade and they are taking on that very muted colour which is typical of this time of year.
I collected a couple of heads, and some Prunus (Ithink) leaves which have turned the most amazing colour and some Sambuca leaves for contrast, and have had a go at painting a study of them all.  I have found it really difficult to capture that slightly faded and soft colouring in the Hydrangeas, but it has given me another opportunity to play around with the Quinachridone Purple and the Moonglow, but maybe it is time to look for a change in the predominant palette, and have a go with my new tube of Translucent Orange instead.

Not sure if I will frame this painting, but nothing goes to waste, and it will probably get a single mount and be put in the browser as a bargain!


 

                                            'Hydrangeas' Watercolour on Fabriano Extra White
                                                                     300g 12ins x 18ins


18 comments:

  1. Очень красиво!Только светлая душа может создавать такие замечательные работы! Каждая Ваша картина восхитительна.
    Very beautiful! Only Ņâåōëāĸ soul can u made ​​the Remarkable Such work! Kazhdaya Your picture voshytytelna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice indeed! A lovely piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Peter. I am a little anxious about how much better the painting looks on screen with the light behind it. It seems much duller in the studio. I would hate to give any reader the wrong impression, but not sure what one can do about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice piece Yvonne, the colours look fresh enough on my screen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine. My worry is that the screens make it look fresher than the reality, but thanks for making a comment and looking at the blog.

      Delete
  6. Herrliche Arbeit. Ich bin begeistert;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janina, I am glad you like the work.

      Danke Janina, ich bin froh, dass Ihnen die Arbeit.

      Delete
  7. Lovely composition and colours, Yvonne. Always enjoy looking at your work. Peter put me on to your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, its good of Peter, he is always so very supportive.

      Delete
  8. Great range of colour and feeling of texture on the different elements. Lots of interest to engage the viewer and definitely worth framing. Lovely to see that you are making an impact abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick, glad you like it. Problem with foreign viewers, is trying to work out the comments and than sending them a reply. But I really enjoy it... its great fun.
      Still not sure if this piece will get a frame. I may put it behind glass to test it, as that always makes a difference. It also depends on whether I produce enough other work for the exhibition.

      Delete
  9. Hydrangeas are some of my favorite flowers. This piece is both playful and colorful with interesting texture and movement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Laura for taking the time to comment. I am glad you have enjoyed looking at this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, I instantly fell in love with this, Yvonne, I would certainly frame it and hang it on my wall. There is such a wonderful spontaneity and splashiness in it, great painterly done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the lovely comments. Its great that there is such a variety of tastes around. I never thought this painting would bring so many nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice watercolor painting, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment. So pleased you like the finished image

      Delete