This turned out to be a lesson in just how far to take a painting with due regard to ones ability!!
I wanted to do several new things, another chance to use the unstructured Thursday session to try something a bit different.
I think, in hindsight, there were too many new and different things going on, and I have realised that sometimes it is better to really consolidate certain skills before proceeding onto something new, and only introducing one new thing at a time..........or is it just a case of if you want to have fun and experiment, it doesn't always work!
I wanted to do a bigger painting than normal, I wanted to question some of the compositional rules and I wanted to push my experimental, loose approach even further. I am disappointed with the result, simply because it did not turn out as I had hoped. However, my annual exhibition has taught me that people buy and admire all sorts of art, and some paintings that I felt were failures for one reason or another, have been bought by people who genuinely thought they were beautiful. Thank goodness we are all different!
The drawing stage was fine. The paper is Whatman Rough 300gm and measures 57cm x 39cm. I did however, deliberately place the heavy blooms on the RH side of the picture and leave the LH side with only foliage and buds. That was my attempt to play around with composition, to see if it works when one pushes the rules a bit too far!
The start of the painting was ok as well. Doing what I normally do by creating a relatively traditional flower in the first instance. Even at this stage, though, I was beginning to feel slightly worried. It was not as vibrant and 'clean' as I wanted it. Th colours in the photo are stunning and I really wanted to capture that.
I did wonder if it would help if I got rid of some of the white behind the flower in an attempt to add more contrast and make the oranges more vibrant.
My concern about the painting at this stage clouded my brain, and I continued with all the background, which was another mistake as I was then left with a painting I did not think could be salvaged, and a great mass of white paper in one corner which still had to be painted. I should have stuck to my usual system of painting all the flowers before adding the background, so that there was more chance of getting it right!
With the intention of getting more vibrant colours, I painted the second flower with everything I possessed, watercolour, gouache, acrylic ink and water soluble pencils. I so didn't like the painting at this stage, that I no longer cared what happened to it, so I approached it with gay abandon, and at times felt like Jackson Pollock on one of his bad days.
The painting did get finished, I still do not think it has a lot to commend it.....too much splatter, too overworked, and the composition could be a lot better......but it has made me think. I share it with you simply to show that even when we think we have a little talent, things can go horribly wrong ......it doesn't always work.