Thursday 21 June 2012

Blossom

I have to start this post with a bit of an apology! I was painting at Avon Valley Artists this morning, and intended to have another go with the d'oily and gouache. I completely forgot to take my camera with me, so I am afraid that there are no step by step photos of what I did.
The process, however was exactly the same as last week, with a bit of additional texture.
The background was painted wet into wet with Quinachridone Magenta, Opera Pink, Windsor Green, Pthalo Blue and Paynes Grey. I then added some sea salt to start off the texture,
I also added some creased tissue paper which I stuck to the background with white Gesso.

I allowed all this to dry - coffee break and chat  and judicious use of the hairdryer -  and then proceeded to tear up bits of my doily which I had previously painted several shades of pinks and blues.

I pooled some darker paint in places and blew these across the page with a straw to get some natural looking twigs, and painted around parts of the background to give me some leaf shapes.

I added colour and white gouache where I thought it was needed, added a few stamens to the so-called flowers and gave the whole thing a good splatter with white gouache.

It is all very abstract, and maybe I went too far this time, and I think a bit of imagination is needed to interpret the subject, but I do like the colours and the lovely shapes I get with the d'oily, so the morning was very satisfying!!!

14 comments:

  1. Hello Yvonne:) Wow beautiful, a kind of magic! Love the colors. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renate. Yes its the colours that please me most. Great to do something a little different. Glad you like it

      Delete
  2. I like the harmony of colors and texture. What beautiful audacity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lydie. It was great fun to do, with no pressure to follow any particular path. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does't, but what fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely. I think you've discovered something interesting here with these textural effects. Just the start (grin)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Although I am having great fun on a Thursday morning, it will not be the end of my more traditional flower painting, I love doing it too much!

      Delete
  5. Du kannst so spielerisch mit den Farben umgehen. Etwas abstrakt und frei. Kompliment.
    Liebe Grüsse
    janina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Janina, die Farben sind schoner ich bin sehr zufrieden mit dem Ergebnis

      ( Thanks Janina, the colours are lovely. I am very pleased with it)

      Delete
  6. Really enjoying your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick. Its quite different from my normal stuff but I am enjoying it. Glad you are enjoying it too.

      Delete
  7. Extremely nice and colourful. Well explained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. Sorry not to have photos to support each stage. Glad you enjoy looking.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Great, thanks, but struggling a bit as how to develop the idea!

      Delete